Skip to main content Skip to main search


Hrvatski Hrvatski HR


Use of health care services in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after Brexit

Even though the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK) is no longer a member of the European Union, pursuant to the latest agreement between the subject country and the EU, insured persons of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund can use their European Health Insurance Cards issued by the CHIF during their temporary stay on the territory of the UK.

This refers to all categories of insured persons of the CHI, regardless of whether they travel to UK for private or business purposes, including students, posted workers and all other categories of insured persons.

To students who are currently studying full-time in the UK, and whose status of an insured person is regulated on another basis of insurance, status in the compulsory health insurance can be regulated on the basis of full-time study in the UK, under condition that they contact the CHIF with an appropriate confirmation of university and that they did not report temporary departure from Croatia.

For the issuance of the A1 certificate, posted workers shall continue to contact the Croatian Pension Insurance Institute.

Persons insured in Croatia, but with permanent residence in the UK, such as Croatian pension beneficiaries or workers with Croatian employers living in the UK, shall continue to exercise their right to a full health care coverage in the UK, costs of which shall be borne by the CHIF on the basis of the existing certificates.

Regulations concluded between the UK and EU allow referrals to treatments on the territory of the UK, excluding medically assisted procreation.